- Name : Shri Dhirajlal Hirachand Dhirubhai Ambani
- Date of Birth : Dec 28, 1932
- Passed Away On : Jul 06, 2005
- Religion : Hindu
- Death Place : Mumbai
- Address : Mumbai
Share On :
NAME: Dhirajlal Hirachand Dhirubhai Ambani
DATE OF BIRTH: 28 December 1932
PASSED AWAY ON: 6 July 2002
PLACE OF BIRTH: Chorvad, Junagadh district, Gujarat
DEATH PLACE: Mumbai, Maharashtra
OCCUPATION: Founder of Reliance Industries, Reliance Power, Reliance Capital
Dhirubhai Ambani was a business tycoon who started Reliance Industries in the year 1966.
Dhirubhai was born in a Modh baniya family. His father was Hirachand Govardhandas Ambani and mother was Jamanaben. His birth place is a village in Chorwad in Junagarh district of Gujarat. His family was financially handicapped and had limited resources. Thus, Ambani’s childhood days were full of struggles.
During his school days he was appointed as General Secretary of Junagarh State Union. Later on he also became a part of Praja Mandal Movement and organized rallies to bring about constitutional reforms in state. The result of all such demonstrations was that the Nawab of Jungarah left for Pakistan and Junagarh became a part of Indian Union.
Due to the deteriorating health of his father, Dhirubhai had to leave studies and acquire a job to meet family needs.
He took up a clerical job at Aden at A. Besse and Co that was the largest transcontinental trading firm in East of Suez. This company traded all kinds of goods to Asian, American, African and European nations.
Ambani was ambitious and thus he simultaneously took up a similar role in a Gujarati trading company. During his stint at this firm he learned Accounting, Book Keeping and prepared shipping papers and dealt with banks and insurance companies. He was shifted to an Oil filling station and it was here that the idea of setting up an Oil refinery crossed his mind. He moved back to India in the year 1958.
Ambani started trading spices, sugar, jiggery, betel nuts, etc. to Gulf Emirates under the name Reliance Commercial Corporations. He later on shifted to yarn trading. The brand ‘Vimal’ became a famous brand for all households across the nation.
He was married to Kokilaben Ambani. The couple has four kids Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, Neena Kothari, Deepti Salgoankar.
Foundation of Reliance Industries
Dhirubhai Ambani started Reliance Industries in the year 1966. In the year 1977 he took Reliance Industries public.
Ambani was admitted to Breach Candy Hospital on 24 June 2002 as he suffered from a heart stroke. As per the records it was his second stroke. He got first stroke in February in the year 1986 when his left arm got paralyzed.
After his second stroke in 2002, he slipped into coma and despite the best efforts of the team of doctors he passed away on 4th July 2002.
Reliance after his death
After the death of Dhirubhai, the Reliance group split into Reliance Industries Limited headed by Mukesh Ambani and Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (Reliance ADA Group), headed by Anil Ambani.
Awards and Recognitions
• On January 2016, he was awarded Padma Vibhushan which is the second highest civilian award of the Country.
• In October 2011 Ambani was posthumously awarded the ABLF Global Asian Award at the Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards.
• Further, in the November 2000 he was Conferred Man of the Century award by Chemtech Foundation and Chemical Engineering World in recognition for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of the chemical industry in the country.
• He featured amongst the Power 50-the most powerful people in Asian continent by a magazine named Asiaweek in the years 2000, 1998 and 1996.
• In June 1998 he was awarded "Dean's Medal" by The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania for setting an outstanding example of leadership. He has the rare distinction of being the first Indian to get Wharton School Dean's Medal.
• In August 2001 he was awarded Economic Times Award for Corporate Excellence for Lifetime Achievement.
• Also, he was named the "Man of 20th Century" by the FICCI.
• The Times of India conducted a poll in the year 2000 where he was voted as the "Greatest Creator of Wealth in the Centuries".
Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, Deepti Salgaonkar, Nina Kothari