Reema Lagoo was a notable Bollywood actress who mainly played supporting roles in many films. She is also a well-known name in Marathi theatre.
Reema Lagoo was born in the year 1958. Her original name is Nayan Bhadbhade. Her mother was actress Mandakini Bhadbhade who was a Marathi stage artist and performed in drama Lekure udand Jaahalee.
Lagoo studied at the Huzurpaga HHCP High School in Pune where she started showing inclination towards acting.
Her Acting career
It is after completing her schooling that she started her professional acting career and her first job as an actor was on Marathi stage as a theatre actress. She made her debut with Marathi film Simhasan that was released in the year 1979. She entered the Hindi film industry as a supporting actress in the movie Kalyug, that was released in the year 1980.
Since, then she never looked back and went on to perform in various movies mainly as a supporting actress. Some of her renowned films include:
• Aakrosh (1980) in which she played the role of a dancer
• Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988) where she played Juhi Chawla’s mother.
• Rihaee (1988).
• Maine Pyar Kiya (1989) as Salman Khan's mother and
• Saajan (1991)
• Gumrah (1993) as Sridevi’s mother ,
• Jai Kishen (1994) as Akshay Kumar's mother and
• Rangeela (1995) as Urmila Matondkar's mother.
• Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!(1994),
• Yeh Dillagi (1994), where she played a business woman
• Dilwale (1994),
• Rangeela (1995),
• Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), and
• Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003).
• Her performance was par excellence in the movie Vaastav: The Reality (1999), where she portrayed the role of Sanjay Dutt’s mother who kills her own son, as he was a Don.
• Rui Ka Bojh (1997)
Reema Lagoo mostly played the role of a middle-aged mother to notable actresses and actors of Bollywood. She portrayed each role with complete honesty and did justice to each character that she played both in movies as well as T.V. Serials.
Her Renowned Marathi work
She acted in a Marathi suspense film Bindhast where her acting skills were well appreciated. She also appeared on the Marathi show Maanacha Muzra. It is a show in which Marathi personalities are honoured for their work.
Her TV Series
Reema Lagoo played pivotal roles in many hit T.V. Series like Tu Tu Main Main and Shriman Shrimati.
Reema married Marathi actor Vivek Lagoo and it is after marriage that she took on her husband’s surname ‘Lagoo.’ However, the couple separated after a few years. Both of them have a daughter together named Mrunmayee who is also a film and stage actress and a renowned theatre director.
Reema Lagoo complained of chest pain and was admitted to Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai at 1 a.m. on 18 May 2017. She died of cardiac arrest at 3.15 am in the morning. She was 59 year old.